OIKOS is a Greek word that means, “house” or “household (those within a house).” It can also refer to those who are in your sphere of influence of your “Relational Network.”
At Clearpoint Church we believe we were MADE FOR A MISSION! What is the Mission? John 3:17 says: “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (NKJ) For the first disciples, it was no longer about net-profits or net-worth. It was all about the NET-WORK! it meant to be at the grass-roots level of THE MOVEMENT that would change the World. To take the life-changing message of the Gospel into their living! To eventually to the whole world!
A Network = A group or system of interconnected people or things. How did they do that? Remember what Jesus told them: “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
They had to develop a system that would “net” the results they were looking for – people! They had to influence a network of people if they were going to reach the world! If they were going to change the World – they had to be able to FRAME their world. And that’s what they did. They followed Jesus into the region meeting all kinds of people. They would Get into their lives and people would be healed, made well, set free and then they would follow. They would get into their homes – and the reach their families!
The movement began to grow: From 4 to 12 to 72 to 120. In just 3 years – the Mission became a Movement that netted about 120 people! Doesn’t sound like much of a movement does it? Well – that was the very beginning of the movement – the church. And it has grown to be what it is today! Close to over 2 billion people worldwide! And that includes you and I – and all believers in the church today!
One: If you are going to change the world – you have to frame your world
- Jesus framed it – It’s the “WHERE” – Where are we going to cast our new net – region, work, school, family, friends, neighbors, neighborhood, etc.
- Draw a box – list the region, the neighborhood
Two: If you are going to change the world – you have to NAME your World?
Jesus name it – and it began to get very specific and up-close and personal
- This wasn’t random – out in the middle of the lake kind of fishing?
- You don’t find the honey-hole in the middle of the lake
- You go to where the fish are: (ask MIKE)
two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us!” 28 And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him. And Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” They said to Him, “Yes, Lord.” 29 Then He touched their eyes (NKJ)
- Went to their house
- That’s what he modeled
Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi’s house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him. (NKJ)
That’s how Jesus did it – he established a connection – a network (with tax collectors and sinners)
- Went to their house
- That’s what he modeled
HOUSE = OIKOS
- Oikos = physical structure of a house or the contents of a house – or those who live in a house – came to mean…. sphere of influence close relational network
When Jesus modeled mission – and deployed for mission – the mission wasn’t about heading to another country
- Mission is a call to head home!
- To the OIKOS
- Look at this: Jesus demonstrated it – then he deployed others to do it
In Luke 10 – he had 72 followers that he was about to deploy for mission
the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 “Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 “Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 “But whatever house you enter, first say,`Peace to this house.’ 6 “And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 “And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house.
Demon-Possessed Man (Luke 8 – tell Story)
39 “Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you.” And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him. (Luk 8:39 NKJ)
Zacchaeus (Luk 19:9-10)
Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; 10 “for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (NKJ)
Impact Question: What Difference will I make?
- To answer that you have to get serious and begin to frame and name your World.
- SO – where do we go from here?
It’s the Initiative Question: When and Where Do I Start?
Not about focusing on the population of the world – but focusing on the people in yours!
- Reaching the world begins with reaching MINE!
Who is in your world?
- Frame it (Front of Card) …. Missional Frame
- Name it (Back of Card) …. Missional Names
- List the names (6 unchurched, unreached…might be more)
You can’t change the world until you can name your world
- Our world – or our – network is called our OIKOS
- You don’t get to choose your Oikos – you simply identify them
- Those God has already – supernaturally and strategically placed in your life
Here’s the deal, you may not even like some of these people
- This exercise isn’t to just name your OIKOS
- But it’s a way to strategically chart out the Mission God has for you
- Helps you grow Spiritually as you view others through the eyes of Grace and mercy of Jesus
Your list will change over time
- People get saved and mobilized for mission
- People move – people change – people die
- So – no time to waste
- Claim Your World…in Pray it!
Today: The Movement continues
- We weren’t just made for more
- We were made for a mission
- Our mission is Fishin’!
- It’s still impacting lives – it’s still changing the world!